The essence of dog ownership is not about what other dog owners think and feel about you and your pet but it is basically about providing good leadership for your dog to keep him safe. Oftentimes we assign human traits to our dogs and expect them to be on board with our logical thinking. In return, they can break a few small rules which really do not compute.
Of course you love your excellent dog. Those few hang ups he may have, just like everyone else’s dog, are easily overlooked because he is so loveable and you understand him. Being a dog owner is an act of love, giving, and naturally, responsibility. But in a neighborhood of dog owners, it is uncommom for everyone to jump on the discipline bandwagon when it comes to outdoor and public behavior of their dogs.
It does not matter if everyone rolls their eyes and complain to each other every time they see you or your dog headed their way. In reality, it is about providing immutable leadership in order to keep your dog safe. Often we bend on a rule here and there, because we assign our pups little human traits so that we can relate to them better, and we somehow expect them to be on board with our logical thinking. However, expecting them to grasp that just this one time (because they are being so good) they can break a few small rules is kind of like leaving a newborn baby a to-do list and expecting them to sit up and take notice. It just does not compute. Dog Portraits
A Dog’s Health is a Dog’s Wealth
Since you are responsible for your dog’s health, safety, and happiness, then you are responsible for his welfare both indoors and outdoors. Letting him out and hoping that he will not leave your yard and run amok through the neighborhood terrorizing kitties and peeing on prize winning flowers is not quite living up to the responsibility factor. Because even if his behavior does not irritate the neighbors, the likelihood of becoming a hood ornament increases by 80% even in a nice, calm residential neighborhood every time he is outside and free without a responsible human. The likelihood of getting hit by a car increases by 50% when you take him out in the world without his trusty leash. A leash only works when it is attached to his neck, preventing your pooch from taking off after a delectable little squirrel.
Suppose that your sweet guy is able to avoid the pitfalls and dangers that await him in the human world the neighborhoods, counties, and cities take leash laws rather seriously, and it is not uncommon for many dogs with fabulously posh homes and puppy beds and special no-reach feeding dishes to be swept up with they strays and lost dogs that end up at the shelter. Even with tags, chips, and other identifying devices, the majority of dogs who enter shelters are not reunited with their owners. Dogs without tags stand only a 5% chance of making it back home. Dog with tags have a 40% chance, and dogs with the chip stand a whopping 80% chance. I love my dog, and even a 20% of never seeing him again makes me cringe.
It Only Takes a Leader
Your dog is a pack animal and you are part of his pack. You can choose to either be his leader or his second in command. Studies show that dogs who are not the leader of their own packs or groups are happier and healthier. By giving him firm, unbreakable rules, you may be prolonging his life in many different ways. Out there in the busy world, it is expected that your special friend will not only be safer but also less likely pick up common pet diseases and parasites which we humans do not like in our own home. The neighbors are bound to like you and your dog more as well.